Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sad commentary on our society...

Tomorrow is Thursday and some of my favorite tv shows are coming on - Project Runway, Flash Forward, and The Office- just to name a few. Last week I was so excited to see the big wedding episode on the Office. After watching the show I just felt bad for the rest of the night. There was a scene where Michael goes in to explain to Pam's grandma that sex before marriage is normal now. He says something like we're not in 1820 anymore this is 2009. This scene had no reason to be in the show, there was no comedy in it- that I saw. This is just another way to convince people that it's okay to have sex before you're married. No, not just okay, NORMAL. This is just a sad commentary on our society. Yes, I know this is not new- I wasn't raised under a rock, I know that it was the norm to have sex with your boyfriend- but I don't want it to be my norm. I don't want my kids growing up thinking this is normal and even expected if you're in a relationship. The other scene that bothered me was when Pam was upset because she felt ugly in her wedding dress. She was upset because she couldn't wear the dress of her dreams or wear heels- which would be a tragedy on a wedding day, but I digress. There was no mention of any remorse that she had gotten pregnant before being married- no mention of the fact that there had been a moral mistake made. NO, she was upset because she just felt ugly in her wedding dress. And what were all the rest of the players doing? They were just trying to get some action with whoever would look their way. I just think it is ridiculous! What a horrible message to send to people everywhere. I am now debating on whether or not I'm going to watch this show anymore- which really stinks because I think it's really funny. I am slowly trying to watch less trash on TV- maybe someday I'll have enough resolve to turn the thing off completely.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

That bugged me, too. I just finished posting about the crappy state of TV and the world in general. I like your Obama countdown!

Page said...

just now starting to see the plague that is TV? Wow. Wow. It sure as hell didn't start with Obama...

she never sleeps...