Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Family Olympics FHE

Since I blogged about our total failure of an FHE, I wanted to blog about our totally successful family Olympics. I stole the idea from another blog- since our snow melted too fast we had to opt for indoor (it was raining too) snowless activities. We had the headstand hold, block stacking, jingle bell walk, jog skiing, coinslide curling, and the glovey kiss challenge. Taylor and I made medals- and Tates painted an Olympic sign. She had already painted one for me for my sing time activity at church so she is a pro now :) So, after we had a short lesson and passed the Olympic flame- the games were OPEN! We started with headstand hold- no pics of that because it was a pretty short event and I had to hold feet and jeebs had to hold the baby :) So next came block stacking...


Then- the jingle bell walk... They had to walk through the lines of yarn blindfolded- the bells were supposed to jingle when they touched the yarn, but the bells weren't sensitive enough...oh well it was still fun.

Next, Coinslide Curling- This was Jeebs' idea and I thought it was so creative. He put his laser level on the shelf next to the table to make a line on the table. They each had 3 quarters to slide along the table to see how close they could get to the line. This is Cagey just after he slid his quarter- I think he thought if he stuck out his tongue it would stop his coin from sliding off the table :)

Taylor had great focus and concentration...

Then, our last event was the Glovey Kiss Challenge...We started with Jeebs' snowboarding gloves on Cagey, but he couldn't even pick up the kiss soooo we switched to daddy's socks heeheee. This event had a two-fold mission- 1) see how many kisses you could open in a minute and 2) that's how many you get to have for your fhe treat :)Ezra got some medals for being a super cheerleader...then he started eating them so we had to take them off:)


Cagey was very determined- he loves chocolate. It looks like I'm texting or something here, but yo' I'm not! We used Jeebs' phone as a stopwatch :)

After all the medals were awarded and before we had our closing ceremonies we had to snap a pic under the Olympic banner. Jeebs said Olympics needs to be Taylor's next spelling word- but give her a break she's only 7!! She spelled family right :) (no homeschool comments :) I love how Taylor is all excited- Ezra is just thinking "get the candle", and Cagey is just worried about Ezra getting the candle hehehehe. It was really so much fun. Cagey was genuinely excited for something other than VIDEO GAMES- and that is saying something! Happy Family Home Evening-ing.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Very, very cute! I hope I'm as fun when my kids are older.

The Nicolaysens said...

Very cute idea! I will have to do that one when the kids get older. Way to be creative. I'm sure the kids will remember that one :)