Friday, June 5, 2009

How did we get here?

In the fall of 1997 I moved to Provo, UT to start my education as a microbiology major at BYU. I still remember sitting in my first class and thinking "Wow, BYU!" It was 8 in the morning and it was Microbiology 130- there were 3 textbooks and 4 professors for the one class. Yeah, microbiology lasted a semester. I ended up married, with a 9 month old Tates and getting a BS in sociology. Jeebs started BYU in the summer of 1996 as a graphic design major- I believe. We met in May of 2001- married in December '01 and Tates came in Oct 2002. We lived in 3 different apartments in Utah. Cagey came in July '05. We didn't want to live in Utah forever so we really tried to find a job outside of Utah. When the opportunity came to move to New Bern, NC even with a large pay cut- we decided to jump on the chance to leave Utah. We were excited to be by the beach and live somewhere neither of us had ever been to or even heard of. We've been here for 2 and a half years and I have to say- I don't know how we got here :) We have 3 kids and live way across the country from where we started. After having all the experiences I've had here- I know the Lord is trying to teach me a lesson. I will never complain about where we live again. I was so down on Utah and now Utah doesn't look so bad anymore :) There isn't anything wrong with New Bern. See, I'm not complaining :) We've just had issue after issue. Anybody need a house in New Bern, NC? It's the birthplace of Pepsi :) I guess I just feel a world away from the 22 year old that was walking to ballet class with my tights hanging out of my shorts- making fashion statements- shopping at American Eagle- laying out until my skin was nearly black- eating rice and eggs- complaining about roommates- singing Dixie Chicks at the top of my lungs- running with Red- Yeah I wouldn't trade my life now for any of that, it's just weird the progression that life has taken.

4 comments:

DyessFam said...

aaaaahhhh...memory lane..nice stroll.

alexandriasmomma said...

As daddy would say, it's all about choices. hehehehehe Thought you'd appreciate that.

Wendy said...

You can still wear your tights with your shorts if you want --

alexandriasmomma said...

TEXAS is a GREAT place to live, especially in the scary times that are coming. SURELY Jeebus could find some kind of connections in Dallas or something. The temple is there and SHOPPING. I don't care about shopping but I know you do, so............