Friday, May 6, 2011

The best homemade TortiLLas evah

I thought I would share the best dang homemade tortillas for all the world to see- or all 10 of everybody. Even my brothers that pick on me about everything I make have nothing bad to say about these. I've recently changed the original recipe I found online so it is officially mine. The original recipe called for canola oil, which is good, but I have made them the last two times with butter flavored shortening and oh my goodness.

The recipe:

3 C flour
1/3 C butter flavored shortening
1 C warm water
1 tsp salt (I use kosher cuz I'm so kosher ha)

I use a fork and blend the shortening into the flour until it's about smaller than pea size bits throughout. (what's smaller than peas?) Then dissolve the salt into the warm water. Add the water/salt into your flour/shortening mixture a little at a time until it comes together. I usually don't need all the water- just depends on the weather. Knead it for about 5 minutes until you have a nice dough ball. Sometimes I let it rest, sometimes I don't- it just depends on how much time I have. I think you're supposed to let it rest for 15 min if you have the time. Separate into 12 equal-ish size balls. Preheat your griddle to 400 degrees. Roll our your balls to the desired size. Cook on one side for about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook the other side 2-3 minutes...voila! (oh put them under a towel or in foil to keep them soft and warm and to keep them hidden until you're ready to eat)

Jeebs even thinks these are better than Papacita's which if you are from East Tejas- you know! And because I'm such a dork, I documented the process hehehehe you'll thank me later

No comments: