Thursday, May 5, 2011

We'll smoke the monster out!

Last night I went to my prenatal yoga class in flip flops and cut off (and cut waistband) workout pants. I thought something might be up when I walked into the coffee shop and it was still open. (We do yoga in a coffee shop, interesting huh?) I walked in, headed back for the bathroom of course, and the owner comes up to me to tell me that yoga has been canceled for whatever reason and I thanked him and went to get in my car.

On my way out I see my midwife/yoga instructor and for a split second thought I should stop and act like I was looking at advertisements on the store windows, but instead I spoke up and said Hi. She was apologetic about yoga being canceled and explained to me how she had tried to call, but her phone was having trouble. Then as I was getting ready to head to my car, pick up my kids from the church, and go get some dinner she asked me if I was up for a little stroll. Again, for a split second I thought I should go get my kids to ease Jeebs' burden, but hey a stroll downtown? I can do it...I love walking around downtown. Little did I know we'd be taking a brisk hike around the river. I consider downtown the blocks with all the old stores, not the whole waterfront with all the old homes, the library, the pier, etc.

I really was okay to walk because, yes, I do workout. ( I can still do jump squats at 36 weeks pregnant, what up?) But, in flat flat flip flops, a semi full bladder and a very loose pelvis I was a disaster. I tripped over a raised spot in the sidewalk and had to catch myself on my poor midwife's little shoulders- she's all of 5 ft tall. I was glad she was there though or I would have gone all the way down. There went my groin- it was done dragging my leg forward, but hey, I've danced on my toes, so I continued to pull it forward with whatever muscles would still work. After stopping at the library for a bathroom break (phew) we headed back out to the river and walked up and around a new restaurant downtown, Primrose, which sounds pretty tasty and I may have to try (with decent shoes and pants on). I was preoccupied with looking at the water, the people, and the restaurant when I gracefully stubbed my toe on the rocky sidewalk- gashing open my toe. (I'd post a pic of it, but there are far too many pics of my feet on here already) What in the world is wrong with me? My midwife offered to get a bandaid for me at the restaurant, but I just dabbed it with tissue from my purse- I know I had tissues!- and said I'd be fine.

We walked the last 2 and a half blocks and my toe soaked the top of my flip flop with blood- awesome. When I got back to the car, my body was fine- breathing normally- feet...destroyed, pelvis...done. I'm sure after my little performance last night my midwife is questioning my ability to make it through labor and delivery. I'll make it- as long as those dang flip flops are not involved.

4 comments:

Team Simmons said...

Your poor toe looked pretty bad..
Hopefully,it's feeling better today! Jump squats at 36 weeks? I would wet my pants if I tried that!!

Next time your at Target,use the bathroom by the Pharmacy,it's always clean...

Unknown said...

You are AMAZING!!
So sorry about your toe ):

wagdog said...

Do you ever stop whinging?

Page said...

Wow.






















Wow.