Friday, May 20, 2011

Kilmeny Nicolaysen

Wednesday I decided it was time to be induced because my old friend, preeclampsia, started to creep in. They broke my water at 1 pm and started the pitocin shortly thereafter. Around 3:20 I decided to give up and take an epidural since I couldn't have a homebirth might as well numb it. But, as they were messing around getting the anesthesiologist I realized I needed to push. My midwife was in the room and wanted to check to make sure I was fully dilated. I was an 8 or 9 so she told me not to push unless it was overwhelming. I stood by the bed and it was overwhelming. I pushed 3 times, which to me seemed like one long painful push, and baby was out. I immediately grabbed and looked at what we had. It was a girl! I was so sure we were having another boy- very awesome surprise. I was so relieved to be done and I had done it again with pitocin and mag sulfate and no drugs- that stuff sucks!!! I was so close to getting an epidural which could have added who knows what kinds of complications. I am so thankful to Heavenly Father for carrying me through that...especially for the guardian angels I know he sent. I know my sister was right next to me. Later as I was alone with the baby, thinking of my sister and talking to her the name Kilmeny came to mind. Both my sister and I loved the name. It was a character in an LM Montgomery book. Yang wanted her niece to have it. So, even though it's a mouthful for such a tiny little girl I'm sure she'll grow into it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

How sweet! I have wanted the details, thank you! It is wonderful that things went so well (considering it not being a home birth)! She is beautiful and you look Great! I am sure Alexandria was close..so so sweet. Thanks for sharing!
by the way, we had an ultrasound today...I was certain it would be a boy, but we are having a girl! (: I hope my birth will be as good as yours..minus the pre-eclampsia.

The Nicolaysens said...

She is so sweet and I was so excited to see that you posted on here with her name. It is cute, I'm glad things went well. Good luck with 4 kiddos :)

Jake and Emily Huckaby said...

:):):) This post makes me happy.

Allison said...

She's adorable! Congrats!

DyessFam said...

Beautiful baby! Way to go girl! Congratulations:)