Monday, December 13, 2010

A Question for my fellow homeschoolers...

I homeschooled Tater's up until this school year. We live in a terrible school district and I had always wanted to homeschool. After getting so tired of the constant battle of doing school I gave up. I was able to get her in another school that was half a step up from the district we actually live in so I didn't feel too bad about sending her. I am now homeschooling my Cagey and he will pretty much do anything as long as he knows he's earning time towards playing the PS3. But, Ezra just doesn't cooperate for anything. This was the problem when I was doing Taylor's school. The boys were constantly interrupting or distracting Taylor from getting her work done. Now, Ezra will not be entertained on his own. He either wants me to take him outside or he wants to play on Jeebs' lap with Jeebs' keyboard. So, my question is- how do you do it? How do you deal with your younger children? I know they need attention too, I just don't know how to divide my time and get it all done. It is driving me batty!! I love having my kids at home and the longer I can keep them out of the hands of indoctrinating public school officials- the better. But, I do not like doing school. I didn't like school when I was in it and I guess I just have a bad attitude. I was always a self motivated student- my mom never had to push me. I hate having to push Taylor to do her work. It is so wearing. Maybe this just takes far more patience than I have. Any thoughts at all would be appreciated- even if I don't know you :)

3 comments:

DyessFam said...

I do the majority of Braden's homeschool stuff while Zekey and Ailey are napping. If it is an art thing or something that is a project, I just give the two younger ones something of the same sort so they can "participate". Zekes is three and he has honestly been learning stuff as an aside. I won't formally do any schooling with him until he is 5 and then I'll start him on kindergarten stuff. I'll probably get him doing some pre-k stuff, but not nearly as structured as I did with Braden. OH, and Braden loves to try and teach Zekes and Ailey and doesn't hesitate to correct them. Its pretty funny. All that prolly didn't help, but I tried. :) Seriously looking into putting Braden in Christian school next year. We'll see.

Jake and Emily Huckaby said...

I have the same problem...even if it is during Isabelle's homework or Noah's pre-k. I found this website's ideas helpful.

http://www.hsclassroom.net/2009/09/keeping-toddlers-busy-while-homeschooling/

Nessa and Jeebs said...

thanks guys- that is helpful. If only I had the patience to wait until nap time. I just want to get it done in the morning so we are DONE, but that's the whole problem I'm just selfish :) and Red I'll check out that website.