Friday, July 9, 2010

The actual proposal...why not add the real thing


Jeebs proposed twice- I guess subconsciously it wasn't enough for me. The first time he proposed with a ring pop. We were going for a drive in the mountains. We were constantly escaping to the mountains because it was cool and I had to keep up the facade that I was an "outdoorsy" girl. (I lied about being the outdoor type) Well, at the time I did want to be in the mountains to escape my air conditioning nazi of a roommate.

We drove up through Provo canyon and headed towards Kamas. We stopped at a gas station to fill up and somehow I just knew he had bought a ring pop. I guess I should back up and say we had "dated" for maybe a couple of weeks, but on the drive back from Texas to visit my family we started talking about marriage...and how we knew we were going to get married. (Another story for another time) Jeebs got back in the car after paying for the gas and he had that little "I have a surprise for you" air about him. We drove up and around the High Uintas until we got to a place we had hiked just a few weeks earlier. We decided to pull over and get out. I walked ahead and plopped down on a rock- Jeebs stood beside me and we talked about our future. I was scared to death and thought things were moving at rocket speed. Then Jeebs had to put the throttle to ludicrous speed and got down on one knee. It was surreal...and scary. The only thing I remember is that he had the ring pop and he said something about marrying him and I said, "I guess so." I just have to add- we drove home by way of the billboard that had the picture of the ring I wanted. The only ring I wanted- I pointed to it and said "that's what I want." He didn't see it and I wanted to be surprised with what he got- and I was surprised (yet another story).

The second time: He picked me up from my sweltering apartment and he told me we were going somewhere so he could give me something that was round and had something sticking out on one side. Jeebs had his famous Jeebs smirk- which let me know there had to be a twist. We drove to Bridal Veil Falls and I was excited to see my ring (that's what it had to be right?) We got out and he went around the back of the car and popped the trunk. I got out and he had a big bouquet of flowers and an American Eagle bag. I took the flowers looking them over for a ring, nothing. I took the bag and opened it. There was a visor inside- round, with something sticking out on one side. I knew there had to be a catch, but I saw nothing. After looking at the visor and then putting it back in the bag Jeebs prodded, "Try it on." I put it on and asked how I looked- still not understanding what was going on and trying not to show any disappointment with this anticlimactic gift. Then he tells me the tag is sticking up and as I went to shove the tag down inside the visor I felt it. I pulled it out and Jeebs again got to one knee and proposed again. I think that time I actually said, "yes". We walked down the trail towards bridal veil falls as a newly engaged couple (this time with a ring) and all I could think was, "I am scared to death and Jeebs must not have seen the ring on the billboard!"

No comments: