Sunday, August 28, 2011

My final report

We drove around today and have realized how lucky we are to have absolutely no damage to our house and practically no yard clean up to do. My poor flower beds are pretty beat up, but I can live with that. This dangling broken tree limb is the extent of our damage.
Our house still has all its siding, trim and shingles. About two houses down in the woods behind our house there was this tree. That dirt clump is the bottom of the tree- it extends up about 14 feet in the air. I've never seen a tree pull up so much earth around it.Driving around today we saw this over and over- trees down with huge amounts of ground pulled up with them. Hooray we made it through our first hurricane! I have to say I don't think I'll stick around for another one. I didn't sleep at all the night it came through. All I could think about was the tree in our backyard (the top picture) crashing into our bedroom. Or Ezra's room getting blown off our house, or trees slamming through our bedroom window, or a tornado ripping through...I was so glad to see daylight.

2 comments:

alexandriasmomma said...

What did y'all think of Rush's take on the hurricane?

All I have to say is that Jeebs has missed his calling! He should have been a weather channel reporter!!!!! Daddy and I have laughed and laughed over his video. It is SO right on because all of those reporters were acting like such GOOBERS!!! Well, I didn't watch much coverage, but I'm going by what daddy said.....

alexandriasmomma said...

Trees must not develop deep root systems in sand. OR, the soil was so saturated it was easy for it to pull up lots of soil with it. Pine trees generally have a really deep "tap root". I think that's why they just break off above ground so often instead of uproot. Do you remember that pine tree in the front left corner of our yard that was actually TWISTED off by the tornado? It was so bizarre. I'm glad y'all "pulled through". hehehehehehehe

Oh, if you like that baby hats, maybe you could post some pics of Mookie Mook wearing them. I forgot to send a yarn needle. Sorry. Just sew the ends of the headband together any old way, but try to do it neatly, because it will show when she wears it. OR, you can snip off the flowers, sew the ends of the headband together after you fit it to her head, and re-sew the flowers on OVER the headband seam to hide it. Sound like a plan, gee????????? Does Mookie have plenty of dressy dresses?