Thursday, October 6, 2011

Finally a picture outside...

As I sat outside this morning watching the boys scooter up and down the drive way I smelled Utah. I was walking home from campus up the side of a mountain, past all the old homes with old landscaping but fragrant flowers. Again I was charging up the steep hills just wanting to get to my apartment. I didn't appreciate it then, but smelling it again today made me appreciate it today. My sister was there in that apartment, my family was whole and I didn't know the sadness that life could bring...I didn't know the joy either. That was this morning...as I sat just a few feet from this...
This was this evening. Taylor burst into the house proclaiming there was a snake in the yard. A snake! She gave me the, I may or may not be telling a lie smirk, but I followed Jeebs out to see the action. I watched from the (top of) picnic table as he clamped the snake's head in my loppers. Want a closer look?
I believe that's a copperhead folks. I'm sure I'll be corrected if it is not. I'm wondering if this (or one of it's siblings) is what bit Percy. I brought Percy in last week in the morning after being outside, tied to a chair, for 5 hours. He held one leg up and hobbled 3-legged into the kitchen. His front leg was swollen all the way to his paw. We called the vet and told them the situation and told us it was up to us whether or not to bring him in. I gave him my cure all, vitamin C. It works wonders on little dogs. Jeebs gave him benadryl and in 3 days he was back to normal. Yes, I know, we are awesome pet owners.

2 comments:

wagdog said...

Looks like a southern copperhead:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Southern_copperhead.jpg

Page said...

Well when you bait your backyard with a small animal, you're bound to get some predators wanting a little cookie.