Monday, March 2, 2009

Back by popular demand....

Okay- not popular demand- this is for Aunt Elaine :) I thought I would post the brownie recipe and try and make up a chocolate buttercream recipe. I don't usually use a recipe for frosting I throw it in until it looks good :) but I can give you abouts :)

I don't know where my grandma got this recipe for brownies, but they're tasty and only call for ingredients that everybody has on hand generally. My mom says she probably got it from the cocoa tin she was using. She used to make them every Sunday and frost them - and then eat them with hot chocolate!! Can we say Diabetic Coma?? she never had diabetic, cholesterol, or bp problems though. I think there's a lesson there :)

Brownies

2 C sugar
2/3 C cocoa
2 sticks melted butter
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix sugar cocoa and melted butter until combined. Add 4 eggs and vanilla. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until combined- you can add nuts if you like. I love nuts in my brownies, but my family doesn't :( so I always leave them out. Bake at 350 for about 18-20 min. I made these in a greased smaller cookie sheet and they were perfect. The key is not to over bake them or they'll get dry- which I've done.

Chocolate Buttercream a la Vanessa Nicolaysen

1 stick room temp. butter
1/2 C cocoa powder
2 1/2- 3 C powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 milk ( or just enough to get the right consistency)

Beat the butter in your mixer until smooth. Mix cocoa and powdered sugar in a bowl (or you can sift them together if you want to take the time). Add cocoa and sugar to the butter- slowly combine. Add vanilla and then slowly add milk and mix until you get your desired consistency.

I need to rename these Granny's Woohoo Brownies- cuz you will be saying WOOHOO when you eat them- that is if you do it right :) Okay- any questions comments or otherwise - you can leave in the comments section :) and I"m out. Glen- you know you want some brownies!!! Have you ever made grandma's brownies??

2 comments:

wagdog said...

I haven't made her brownies. I typically make the Wag Slamma Jamma Special Brownies with cream cheese deliciousness. I'm sure I can improve on your recipe. Well, I'm off to the mailbox to see if my stimulus check got here yet...

alexandriasmomma said...

I have tried several brownie recipes but continue to go back to mom's tried and true, always have the stuff for them, brownies. She and Mina Ruth Muse, my dad's first cousin, used to make them every Sunday after Church. They lived on Emerson Avenue in SLC. I remember it was close to the Westminster College. My grandmother and her children rented the basement apt. from my dad's uncle. I remember the house very well. It seemed large, but probably wasn't. Uncle Bud and Aunt Rosie rented out the second floor and the basement. It was there that my mom met my dad. He had come up to SLC to attend LDS Business College after finally getting home from serving in WWII. Daddy had seen the world outside of Many, Louisiana, and I guess that's how he was able to recognize that Many was a dead-end place. He never lived there again after he got out of the service. This is not to say that he didn't love his family or that he didn't go visit often. He just recognized the limitations of a place like Many. Louisiana in 1945 was a place still struggling to overcome the effects of Reconstruction.

I digress (shocker). Mother and Mina Ruth made these brownies, complete with choc. buttercream and then made hot cocoa to drink with them. Talk about a chocolate FIX! Mother was the healthiest person I ever knew. More importantly, she was beautiful inside and out. A lovelier lady you will never find. I miss her more than I can say. I've always felt like Scarlett O'Hara, from "Gone With the Wind". Scarlett loved and admired her mother more than anyone else. Her mother was the quintessential Southern Belle and a lady in every sense of the word. Scarlett was a brat. She always wanted so much to be like her mother, and she tried! She never quite made it. That's how I feel. Like no matter how hard I try I never quite come up to mom's level.

Again, I digress! Try the brownies! Your mouth, if not your waistline, will be glad you did!!