Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Center Stage II

I was so excited today to see Center Stage II on dish on demand. I took a shower, got in just the right position (reclined in my recliner) and started my movie. SO bad!! I loved the first one. I used to watch it while I was in college just to get inspired and I would sit and stretch during the whole thing- I would get a renewed sense of motivation for all of my dance classes. Okay that was the first one- this one was like nails down a chalkboard. YUCK! Supposedly the main characters are supposed to be "raw" dancers- self taught, haven't danced for very long- yada yada. Anyway- the main girl kept collapsing her back in her jumps- her tour jetes were awful, when she put her leg behind her in attitude her knee was too down and her feet were sickled. She had horrible feet- not that I can talk, but I'm not dancing on a movie!! Her bourrees were terrible- she looked like a horse trying to stomp on its toes- anyway- blagh!! The story was terrible and nobody could act- needless to say I was very disappointed. I do miss dancing so much!! I wish I could teach or something- just to have dancing back in my life at some degree- maybe some day! Taylor was so excited to see another ballet movie- there was hardly any ballet in it- it was mostly street dancing- blagh- Tates looked at me at one point and said "This is NOT ballet." I don't know why she doesn't want to take classes :)

Okay for a good laugh- here is Cagey before bed tonight- he is wearing the free shirt he got at the doctor's office after pooping his pants and he just got done with a chocolate chip cookie.



2 comments:

Catherine said...

Omigosh, I happened to catch this flick one night a couple weeks ago on Oxygen because Elizabeth and I love the first one too.

I agree that it was probably the most horrible movie ever! I really HATE the actor who plays Cooper. He is TERRIBLE and should give back any money he made for both movies.

alexandriasmomma said...

In the words of my dad, your Papaw, "mediocrity reigns supreme". Here (in this movie) we have an example of mediocrity being presented as a goal to strive for. It's like when we have those "special ed" musical numbers in our ward. Any Tom, Dick, or Harry will get up and sing a solo. Nine times out of ten it is EMBARRASSINGLY BAD. All I can do is hang my head. I like to sing, but I would never subject any congregation to a vocal SOLO? Are you kidding? Then when you have someone like Aunt Anne, who very graciously consented to do a musical number in our ward and allowed me to accompany her (she, who is accustomed to MUCH BETTER accompanists) you have some country bumpkin say, "Yeah, it was ok, I just don't like those trained voices". Come on, people. Don't show your ignorance like that. I remember Aunt Anne as an 18 year old (I was 7), vocalizing and practicing in Grandma Gibson's living room on Chadwick in Sugar House. Her voice was a breathy whisper, but she worked and worked. FOR YEARS. She used to sing "Tonight", from West Side Story, over and over. Now she can blast the room out and she NEVER needs to use a microphone. She has presented recitals on Temple Square, accompanied by Aunt Becky, who played the piano on the radio when she was 14, accompanied by a full orchestra! Now, THAT is called excellence. That is called not settling for mediocrity.

I couldn't even get through Center Stage 2. It was very bad. Most "entertainment" presented today is an exercise in mediocrity.