Tuesday, February 10, 2009

If you're having a baby or had a baby

A must read is "Pushed" by Jennifer Block. My midwife introduced it to me and I've only read a few chapters, but it is really informative. I've always known these sort of mentalities exist, but reading about exact cases and quotes really drives it home. Anyway- it's a good book and if you're having a baby or had a baby in a hospital your experiences are probably described in this book.

I know problems arise during pregnancy, but how many are caused by doctor intervention? Pregnancy should not be treated as a medical problem- it is a natural process of life. I know a lot of people think I'm crazy for having homebirths. I can only say don't knock it until you try it. The things that doctors do to you to mess up the pregnancy and birth process that you have to endure in their hands is much more scary to go through than a natural birth in the privacy of your own home. Anyway, I'm not trying to step on anybody's toes- just suggesting that if you want to know exactly the mentality of many OBGYN's concerning your pregnancy read the book! :)

3 comments:

DyessFam said...

I might get around to reading it someday....hehehe. I bet it is a good read, though. Doctors come at it from the way they were taught. Medical conditions: how to solve them. Gotta cure it! Such a silly mentality. Oh, well. That's why I'm going midwife/birth center this time. OH, yeah!

Erik said...

Hmmm, maybe you'll lend it to me when you're done reading it. Have you seen the Ricky Lake Documentary yet? Its super good; perhaps I'll be so inclined one day.

DyessFam said...

I am NOT popping this baby out just so you can count down! You'll just have to wait your turn like everyone else! Mmmmwwwaaahahahaahahaha! Hey, I'm having to type in panicn for my word verification.:)