Saturday, February 7, 2009

A tribute to my Grandma



This is my gorgeous grandma. I had to post this picture that my ma sent me. She was the best person I ever knew. She was born in Salt Lake and raised in Los Angeles. We always say "she had a life!" She got to go dancing at night clubs with big bands playing- how cool is that? She worked in Hollywood so she saw her share of movie stars. She didn't work on films she just worked in the town of Hollywood- just to clarify. She never took an algebra class her whole life which shocked her BYU counselor when she went to college. He signed her up for an algebra class at a nearby high school- she never went :)

After being raised in LA, then living in Salt Lake- she met my grandpa who was from Louisiana. Imagine the shock she must have felt when moving to East Texas :) She told me once that it was bearable being away from her family and enduring the heat and humidity because the people were so kind and warm. She had wonderful friends in her ward.

My grandma lived about 5 miles from my home the whole time I was growing up- we loved going to visit and having her come visit us. She used to take me and my sister to the symphony. It was always a treat to get to go and dress up- I remember having a fur coat that I got to wear and I thought I was at the height of fashion :) She used to take us to Shoney's for the breakfast buffet when we would spend the night- it was really tasty when we were little- I think it's pretty much crap now.

My grandma was totally committed to the gospel- she pursued excellence her whole life. Her life was not easy- to put it lightly. My grandpa died when he was 55 and my grandma was very lonely. I'm so glad that my sister now has her on the other side. She passed away 2 years ago in January. She kept her sense of humor the whole time she was alive. The last time I saw her she was still being so funny- I can't remember the exact incident, but she used to do funny things in response to us picking on her. We used to like to act like we were kinking her oxygen tube and she would grab her throat and make gasping sounds and then pretend to die. LOL It sounds kind of morbid I guess, but she never seemed phased by it. I was so glad she got to meet 2 of my children. Cagey was named after her grandfather- Cagey's first name is Frazier- her grandfather's name was Alexander Frazier Edward. She insisted on calling him Frazier- which was fine with me because I like the name Frazier just as much or more than Cage. Anway- that was my wonderful grandma!!

4 comments:

alexandriasmomma said...

Mother was actually born in SLC, gee.

alexandriasmomma said...

Edward, not Edwards. I know it is unusual, but just trying to get the facts straight for your many readers. hehehehehehehe

I wish I could remember the hilarious thing mom did or said once when y'all visited her in the hospital. Wasn't it something about her being in one of Jeebs' commercials?

DyessFam said...

What a lovely picture! Your mom looks so much like her!! Wow! Oh, how I hope you don't get sick! Yuck, yuck, yuck! My body is still trying to get itself back on track and I just really don't know if its ever gonna happen. The tiredness just keeps going and going and going..... Anyway, I hope you stay well. Hey, is that stuff you are looking for called Labor Prep? My midwife has recommended that, but I haven't gotten any yet. I'm kinda wondering if I'm too late to take it. I'll ask her at the next appt.

wagdog said...

I always liked going to Grandma Muse's house. ALWAYS. She was easy to be around and was never mean to any of us. I took Grandma for granted. Having a Grandma like that living so close is something that a lot of kids don't have and that sucks. Grandma had something funky in her lungs that I won't explain in this comment that made her cough. I liked to joke with her that if she would cut down on the smokes, maybe switch to lights, she would do better. She said she drank champagne to take the edge off (and of course she never touched a drop or smoked once in her life). This comment brought to you by the word verification "undif" and the number 42.