Friday, August 20, 2010

Tomatillos AND tomatoes and whatever else

I planted these little tomato plants in the back right after buying them. Then, after reading more in my handy dandy gardening book I realized there was just not enough space for the roots to spread out and grow. So- I almost pulled them up and threw them away, but figured I'd give them a second chance in my empty front "rock garden". Slowly, but surely they turned into these massive bushes. It took forever for them to finally get fruit on them, but when we got back from Utah we came home to this----->
There are so many stinkin' tomatoes! I thought I'd be canning tomatoes, but unfortunately a lot of them are rotting on the vine. I think they may be getting too hot against the rocks and then the ants are jumping on to get a little taste. BUT I have gotten several good ones off. I've made fresh salsa and tonight I made pizza sauce with fresh tomatoes and tomato paste whirred together in the food processor.

But- this post is about Ezra. This kid will eat anything. Yesterday I pulled a tomatillo off my half resurrected tomatillo plant and Ezra bit right into the thing and ate it all. Today as we left for a walk (after he had eaten 2 pieces of pizza and watermelon) I picked a tomato that I was going to put on the back table to ripen a little more when we got back and made the mistake of giving it to Ezra to hold. After walking for a bit I saw he had something in his mouth. I looked at my tomato and it had a big bite out of it. He started eating it like an apple!

During dinner I got up to get Ezra something to drink in his sippie. I asked everybody if they knew where his sippie was and Tates got up to look but returned empty handed. Ezra stood up in his high chair and thinking he was done I got him down. He immediately walked off to the living room, pizza in hand, straight to his sippie. I filled it with water while he waited and then lifted him, fully satisfied, back into his chair to finish his dinner. What a funny little guy.

Speaking of funny little guys- Cagey gave Ezra his chewed up bubble gum after he was done with it. I guess giving it to little brother was much easier than going to the trash can to spit it out. good grief.

No comments: