Friday, February 18, 2011

For research purposes

I have had preeclampsia 2 out of the 3 times I've had a baby. I have been cheated out of the awesome birth experience I know I can have both times. My home birth was the most awesome, gratifying, fulfilling experience of my life. I realize that the ultimate goal is a healthy mom and baby, but until you experience birth this way you have no idea what it can truly be like.

Here I am 25 weeks pregnant and wanting desperately to have a successful home birth. I have talked to the midwife here and she has mentioned that an ABO incompatibility could be to blame for my preeclampsia. After she mentioned this to me I remembered my midwife in Utah, Suzanne, also saying something about this as well. So, my question is anybody out there have differing blood types from your husband and ever had problems with preeclampsia? I think the O-B types are the most common to cause problems.

So I'm just wondering what you and your husband's blood types are and if you've had any issues. This can also cause your baby to be severely jaundiced. My blood type is O+ and Jeebs' is B+. How I understand it is- since you have different blood types the baby's blood in the placenta can cause a bad reaction (preeclampsia) in the mother because of the foreign blood in your body- and I suppose the opposite is true- baby can also have the severe reaction (severe jaundice) because of mom's blood type. Anyway- just thought I'd do my own little research if anybody's willing to humor me :) thanks.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate to even admit that I don't even know my blood type. I just asked Dave his and he didn't know his either. I have often thought about having a home birth, but our first child had apsirated meconium and it was a rather severe case. He was in ICU for his first seven days. AWFUL! so I've always felt very nervous about the idea of having one at home, but really do wish I could have that experience. You are amazing! I hope you will be able to get the answers you need and have that beautiful home birth again!

alexandriasmomma said...

Kathy, I love you. You simply exude sweetness. I hope it won't be years and years before see y'all again. We got a darling card from Lizette today. It's hard to believe she is a GRANDMOTHER!

DyessFam said...

Well, I'm a+ and sam is ab+, so there ya go.

Anonymous said...

I'm A+ and Tim is AB+. Pen had really bad jaundice, but Annie didn't. I'm not sure what the girl's blood types are, but I'm guessing Pen's is different than mine. I didn't have any high blood pressure issues with either girl and I'm hoping it stays that way in my future ones (I have the opposite problem, very low blood pressure).