Sunday, January 2, 2011

Forgotten Christmas events

I completely forgot to document these things in pictures so I need to document them here while I'm thinking about it. I think I like doing Christmas-y things more than Christmas day itself. I love playing and singing Christmas music, baking cookies that make everybody sick, and decorating with sparkly things.

This year Tates and I got tickets for the Nutcracker downtown. I knew it probably wouldn't be anything like the Gelsey Kirkland and Mikhail Baryshnikov version, but it would be something fun for us to do together. We got dressed up- as dressed up as Tates would let me dress her up- and headed out sans the boys. The best part to me was the singing group from Craven Community singing Christmas songs before the show started. Taylor sang along and told me that "daddy should play this song while we're opening presents" during their rendition of Carol of the Bells. The show was pretty bad, but it is a fun Christmas tradition to carry on. I remember as a little girl trying out for the Nutcracker ballet. I didn't realize at the time that my ballet school was definitely what my BYU dance teacher called a "Miss Sally" school of dance. I'm kind of glad Tates isn't into that because I would feel I was wasting my money at any of the dance schools here.

We also decided one night that we would go see the live Nativity that one of the church's does here. It was really cold and felt so Christmas-y. It's nice because you stay in your car and just drive through and listen to the story of Christ's birth. We just had a time explaining to Cagey that angels don't really have wings. I love the Christmas season and I'm always a little sad when it's over, but this time I'm just glad to be getting closer to June when I get to meet our new addition.

2 comments:

alexandriasmomma said...

I watched 4 versions of the Nutcracker on Ovation and none of them, with the exception of the Bolshoi Ballet, even came close to the quality of Baryshnikov. He is in a class by himself. If I didn't know that Gelsey Kirkland was high on cocaine when doing those dizzying turns, I would say the same thing about her, but.....

I must never put anything away, because I have put stuff away for two solid days now. Daddy and I got the living room back in order. It was hard to say goodbye to our awesomely fragrant tree. That tree was gorgeous and still smelled good as we were dragging it out the door! The tree smell combined with the cinnamon smell coming from my cinnamon ornaments makes it a year to remember.

Remember the last time you, me, and Yang went to Shreveport to see the Nutcracker? The principal ballerina was lovely. I remember her seemingly weightless arms! However, the male principal was older and a bit past his prime to say the least!! But the music was gorgeous as ever!

alexandriasmomma said...

Remember when Jeebus took us to see Ballet West? I will always love him for that! He even bought us binoculars because he thought we might want a closer look. So considerate! I'm sure I'll NEVER get to see another Ballet West performance. If I lived out there I would have a season ticket.