Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Yang's PoZole (thanks Page)

It seems only fitting that I be making my sister's pozole today on her birthday. I have to make a dinner for a meeting of all the bishops of the stake so I decided pozole would be easy and tasty. I have never met a man that doesn't like this stuff so I hope it's a hit. Here's a step by step:
Soak guajillo and ancho dried chiles over night.


The next day boil a couple of these- or one of these and some pork- with 1/2 chopped onion, salt and pepper. Doesn't that look tasty? After it's done, debone the chicken and add it back to the cooking broth.

In your blender (note: I got a new blender, what up??) puree 1/2 onion, 4 cloves garlic, 1 tsp salt and your chiles. Remove the stems and some of the seeds before you stick them in your blender. Add some of the chile water too. Note: do not squirt the chile water on your favorite maternity sweater (I could hear my sister "stupid gee!")Remove your chile mixture and puree a 28 oz can of peeled whole tomatoes. Then add your chile mixture a little bit at a time back in until you get your desired level o' heat.Dump that out and saute it with 1/2 chopped onion until the shine goes away. I don't really know what the heck that means- cuz I think the shine always stays, but that's what yang's recipe says so there ya go. Oh- then add 1 to 1 1/2 tsp of mexican oregano. Add all that back into the chicken and chicken broth.
Bring all that up to a boil and add a #10 can of hominy (drained). Then let it simmer for an hour.This is what you get- a red hot pot o' steaming pozole. It's a lot better the longer it sits- you eat it with tortilla chips. The best part is the fresh lime wedges you squeeze over it. Lime is yummy and makes everything better! There ya go- it's cheap, easy and it's Jeebs' absolutely most favorite thing to eat. Yang saves the day again! I hope I have enough for 18 men- yikes.

And this is the scarf my momma made me- don't look at that dirty mirror- I have no idea what the kids did in there.
Don't hate because I'm so freakin' hot- and my mirror is so freakin' nasty. What in the heck do they do in there!?!

5 comments:

Jake and Emily Huckaby said...

You look good Nes. And, Happy Birthday Yang! We'll be thinking of you.

Page said...

i believe it's spelled Pozole, but i could be wrong. But i'm not and i hate that i can't have some of that shizzzzzzzzz

alexandriasmomma said...

GEE, I LOVE THE SCARF!! It turned out better than I expected. I should have know it would look great on you!!! Red, if you want a scarf like Nessa's, let me know and I'll make you one and send it for some tips on extreme couponing!!!! hehehehe I'm serious. I'd love to make you one if you want one.

Gee, the scarf looks SO GOOD on you. I knew it would. Only you could make a yarn tube look like fashion!!!

alexandriasmomma said...

Red, what color scarf do you want? That yarn comes in browns, purples, blues, and dark reds. If you'll let me know I'll get the yarn next time I go to town. This scarf only takes TWO skeins! It goes together very quickly. Do you buy a Sunday newspaper? We used to have it delivered---maybe we need to do that again?

DyessFam said...

Work it, work it! That's a very cool scarf! Great job Momma Wagley! As for the mirror mystery, if you ever find out, please let me know.... Seriously, WHAT DO THEY DO IN THERE?!?! And I want some of that however its spelled! Yummy!