Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dog Attack

Today while Cagey was sleeping, Taylor decided she wanted to go for a ride on her bike and she wanted me to rollerblade with her. Well, Percy always knows when we're going for a walk and wants to go along- and he really does need the exercise. So, with the 85 degree weather and 1000% humidity welcoming us- we left and headed straight down our road towards all the new houses. Everything was great- we were having fun, tates was keeping up with me, and then we got to the end of the street ready to turn around. Out from behind one of the houses one of the biggest black dogs I've ever seen comes running out towards us. Percy immediately cowered back behind me and it was obvious the dog wanted to sniff him or check him out the way dogs do- or so I thought. I started stomping at him and yelling "go home" which generally scares dog enough that they get back and you have time to retreat to a safer distance. Oh not so with this one- he got right over Percy sniffed him for a split second and then CHOMPED his back and started SHAKING him around like a ragdoll. Percy was screaming and I started yelling as loud as I could at the dog and stomping my foot to startle him. I was on my stupid rollerblades so I couldn't kick him and I was really scared stiff because I'd never seen a dog do this to another dog. It was one of the most horrifying scenes, I felt so helpless and scared- Taylor was screaming and I was trying to keep her back- I wanted to save my dog, but I didn't want him to turn on Taylor or me. I kept looking around and screaming for what seemed like several minutes while he shook Percy- thinking someone will hear me scream and come get their dog off of my dog! Oh no, nobody ever came. No one came out of their house- nobody! He finally dropped Percy and then got more interested in smelling the pee and poop that percy had released then anything else. So I scooped up Percy, who had a huge slobber mark on his back, and hugged him into my shirt and yelled to Tates to back off slowly. We backed off looking at the dog until he walked some distance away from us, and then we just turned and bolted for home. I kept looking over my shoulder hoping he wasn't following us. I was shaking and completely horrified at what I had just witnessed. I was just hoping Percy wouldn't be bitten into.

We got home and I went in and immediately yelled for Jeebs to help me check Percy out. Luckily, he didn't have any puncture wounds. He was just really scared. After thoroughly checking him out, Jeebs went down the road to see if he could find the dog and find the owner. The dog had a purple collar on so I know he belonged to someone. He didn't see the dog or anything else. So frustrating!! I put Percy down and he went over and hid under the end table in our living room, scared to death. I felt so horrible. I sat by him and the smell of the a$$ slobber from the dog was about to knock me down so I gave him a gentle warm bath to clean him up. He didn't even fight it. I was afraid he might have internal injuries or something, but after about an hour he was back to his old self. He's back to barking and chasing the kids. I know he's annoying, but he definitely didn't deserve to be attacked. I feel so sorry for him and the memory of him being shaken and screaming like he was will haunt me for a long while to come!

2 comments:

wagdog said...

So sorry for you--percy--and the emotional scars Tates will have of BIG BLACK DOGS!! Guess you won't be getting a LAB anytime soon! That sux, I would freak out if a dog did that to Barkley, ooh scary--hope you find the Thing and let Jeebs give it a good kick or too. (just make sure he can run like hell afterwards :)

DyessFam said...

Man! That is some craziness! Makes you want to carry a small caliber pistol around just for such occasions! I hate it when poeple just let their very large aggressive dogs run loose!!!!! Makes me want to carry a stun gun for that purpose. Come to think of it, one of those cow prods would do for both purposes. You know, nothing a little shock won't cure! Mmmmmwwwwaaahahahahahah! Okay, I'm better now. I'm really sorry you had to deal with all of that. I hope Taylor isn't scarred for life!