Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Jan 20th


It snowed today- almost all day!!! We had so much fun. Poor jeebs- he had to sit inside most of the day and work.

1. After living in Utah through a few winters, my sister learned to hate driving in snow. It really isn't fun when the city doesn't shut down for snow. It makes snow much more exciting when things shut down:)

2. Yang was big into ER. We watched it for several seasons. They just need to stop now. It's getting so ridiculous.

3. My sister was an extremely loyal friend. Her friends usually took advantage of her selflessness. She stayed up almost all night listening to one of her friends whine and cry and call back and forth to her fiance the night before their wedding. I don't know what all the drama was about, but my sister listened to it all and then woke up early the next morning to tend to all the wedding details she was helping out with.

4. My sister was on the yearbook staff in high school. I actually have more than 1 picture in the yearbook she helped put together :)

5. My sister was an excellent speller. She won several spelling bees in elementary and even high school. We had the same english teacher my 11th grade year- she asked me if I had gotten the same "gift of spelling" that my sister had. HA!!

2 comments:

alexandriasmomma said...

I found the entry in her little journal--it must have been her very first one (started in 1982 and it's just pages now, no cover)--where she mentions winning first place in UIL spelling. She won first place two years in a row. Was she given recognition? No. Was she applauded by teachers, administration, or classmates? NO. I can GUARANTEE you that no one else has won first in spelling two years running since she did it. But let a teacher's kid get 8th place in ready writing or some obscure event and it will be all over the school paper, the morning announcements, etc. Do I sound bitter? Heck, yes, I'm bitter! I wonder why it is that so many people are threatened by excellence? Alexandria only ever wanted to be kind and friendly to everyone and to be loved and accepted by her teachers. Paula Hill, her first grade teacher, told me to my face that if any teacher didn't like Yang then it was the teacher's fault. She's the teacher who allowed Yang to move on to second, third, and fourth grade work during the second half of first grade. Yang had already finished all of her first grade work by Christmas. If only there were enough people to care, enough people who wholeheartedly wanted the best for children despite their personal problems. If only there weren't so many in public education who are so needy themselves that they find it impossible in themselves to be generous and kind. To treat children the way they deserve to be treated.

Jake and Emily Huckaby said...

glad you got your snow, Nes.