Friday, January 23, 2009

Jan 23

Yang was big into Cabbage Patch kids when we were little. She had all kinds of dolls- even a preemie that we thought was so cute. When she did the little oath for the adoption papers- she really meant it- she took it really seriously :)

We also had a Cabbage Patch room- or at least we had a lamp. I'm pretty sure our whole room was done in Cabbage Patch kids at some point, but right now all I remember is the lamp. The lamp is still in our bedroom at home. It's been changed to match the room now, but it's a very old lamp.

I can't type anymore because my head is hurting and I just want to lay in my bed. Sorry my lists have gotten so short. I just wish I could paint a more accurate picture of my sister for everyone. She was worth knowing and I don't want her forgotten.

1 comment:

alexandriasmomma said...

Yes, your room was done all in Cabbage Patch Kids motif. I fell in love with the lamp and went from there. Y'all had the ruffly curtains and the comforter set on your bed. Yang's very first "Kid" was Sandra. I wish I could send her to the "hospital" for a few repairs. She has been loved on so much. Yang also had twins. Do you remember the DARLING outfits grandma made for the twins? Complete with berets. Sandra was always first in her heart, though. All of you had cabbage patch kids except maybe Page. It seems that by the time he came along the big brouhaha had died down. The boys' room was done in Star Wars.

Back to the lamp. The lamp is still on the night table by the bed in the girls' room. It began its life as a Cabbage Patch kid lamp. The shade got damaged somehow and the room decor was changed to the "Victorian" line in the JC Penny catalog. We put a new shade on the lamp and covered the base with the wallpaper that we put on the walls. That was SUCH a nice set. "Such nice heavy paper. Something to save." (What movie?) The bedding survived many, many washings. Well, time marches on. We got a daybed and trundle for the girls' room when Yang went off to BYU. Some years after that, Yang went all out sewing when daddy and I went to Utah for some reason. She was working so could not come with us. She made the cutest pillows you ever saw. Then she RE redecorated that same old lamp. She covered the base with fabric to match one of the pillows and put some touches of paint in certain areas of the lamp. It is wearing its third shade now. It is so darling I can NOT get rid of it. Yang did such creative stuff and she wasn't afraid to dive in and try something even if she didn't know how to do it. She would figure it out and then do a bang-up job! I was always so proud of her and always had to try to tamp down my pride. Now I wish I had told her each and every time I wanted to how proud I was of whatever thing she had accomplished.

Happy Birthday, Yang. You were an absolute JOY to me every day of your exemplary life. Thank you for the example you set for me.

Sorry if this is too long, Nessa.