Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Jan 7th

1. My sister was way into Bath and Body Works. She loved country apple- she had the body creams, body wash, body splash etc. After we got ready to go somewhere her whole room, apartment, house whatever was just inundated with country apple.

2. She was all about different kinds of paper. She had a billion little different pads of paper or stationery here and there. She loved pens too. She loved having cute paper and a cool pen to write on it with.

3. My sister loved sushi. YUCK!! I went with her once to a sushi bar. She had all kinds of tuna and other raw yuckiness. But, the nastiest thing was the octopus soup she ate. It had little tentacles in it with the suckers and everything. I couldn't believe she could eat that stuff.

4. Yang was always in style in high school. I remember she would come out with the big huge bangs that were so popular and I would call her 3 story high bang Yang. She would also do the big cobra sides. Remember when it was cool to puff out the sides of your hair to look like the head of a cobra? I wonder when that will come back into style. blagh.

5.She played the flute and piccolo in the band. She was always first chair- I think there was one time when she didn't make first chair for some reason beyond her control and she was really upset about it. That's how she was about everything- she had to be the best or not do it at all.

4 comments:

alexandriasmomma said...

Do y'all remember when Yang first transferred to Gladewater High? She went from being first chair flute at U.G. to LAST chair flute at GHS. That was what one had to do---challenge their way up the chairs. She did and in a very short time she was FIRST chair flute and piccolo! At one of the band Spring Concerts, Yang talked Mr. Smith into playing "Stars and Stripes Forever" so that she could play the piccolo solo! I know every single note of that solo. She practiced endlessly on that and everything else she wanted to pursue excellence in. Of course I was video taping the concert with our huge old video camera (it was a great machine, the picture quality was super). As SOON AS SHE STOOD UP TO PLAY HER SOLO, THE BATTERY DIED!!!!! I could NOT believe it. Needless to say, we were all upset about it. That is the absolute story of my life. The same thing happened right at the moment that Vanessa was fixin' to be crowned Band Sweetheart AND at the very snap of the football of the play that Page made a touchdown!!!!! Seminal moments in my children's lives----and the BATTERY DIES!!! Is there a lesson here somewhere? Glen, what did we miss in your life? Of course, these are not the most important moments---those couldn't be video taped. I remember the day Vanessa received her endowment in the Salt Lake Temple. It was the first time daddy and I had been through since our wedding day, June 5, 1973. There are no words in English, Entish, or Elvish (that's for you, Page and Glen) to describe my feelings in the Celestial Room that day. No empty chairs. No missing links in the chain. Glen, I know Tara and Kelton weren't there, but I'm speaking of my little immediate family. I hope all of you will have that experience someday with your own little immediate families. That is the greatest desire of my heart. I wonder what Yang is doing today?

alexandriasmomma said...

MMMMMMMM, Country Apple!

alexandriasmomma said...

I had to leave another comment, because the verification word is "ickle":

"The verification word is "ickle".
Sort of like the flavor "butter brickle".
I'd better end this rhyme, because it's time,
Or I will be in a pickle!!!"

alexandriasmomma said...

I have three wide mouth pint jars full of Yang's fancy colored pens and pencils and I have had to throw a lot of gel pens away because they wouldn't write. I have a STACK of paper and stickers that she had in her "rollie thing". The famous "rollie thing". Gee, you could blog a whole article about THAT!