Tuesday, January 6, 2009

January 6th

1. My sister loved to fish. My dad would take us fishing all together and it was just mayhem trying to fish with 4 or more people in the boat all casting at the same time. We loved it just because we were together and there were always good snacks. My sister really loved to fish though- she could sit and be patient and then she would practically turn over the boat when she would set her hook and start reeling in.

2. Whenever she sang in the car she would hold her hand like she was holding a microphone and then stick up her thumb for the tip of the microphone. Actually this was when she sang anywhere- the car, the grocery store, the living room...she would always sing into her thumb. hehehehe

3. She had this same funky dance thing she would do in the car when she was driving- and if you were in the car with yang...she was driving!!! She would scrunch up her shoulders and bend her arms at the elbows and then kind of shake around- hard to explain in words, but she always did it- it was fun to make fun of.

4. She always had to drive!! Whenever she was the passenger she was miserable. She never felt safe with anybody else driving except for my dad.

5. My sister made the best blanket houses. We would make blanket houses on Sunday afternoons outside in a tree. They were awesome. We'd turn them into drive-thrus, grocery stores- anything we could think of.

Oh and I've been corrected- To correct one of my recent Yang lists- she got a full-tuition scholarship to BYU not a half. Yeah she was pretty good.

I love to think about how my sister was before she got sick. Thinking about the last 10 months of her life makes me really depressed. She passed away right before Taylor's second birthday and so Taylor learned really early whenever she sees me crying she knows I miss Aunt Yang Yang. She always has to ask though, "You just miss Aunt Yang Yang?" Every once in a while Taylor will say- I wish Aunt Yang Yang were here. I don't know how much she remembers of her, but she took right to her. They met for the first time when Taylor was 9 months. They were immediately best buds.

I just have to say - everybody should thank their lucky stars for their sisters. We were best friends and loved being together...I can't believe I have to wait so long to see her again.

2 comments:

alexandriasmomma said...

Maybe some of you who are reading Nessa's blogs about Yang think, "Yeah, sure, they are only saying those things about her because she's not here anymore, she couldn't have been that good." Well, you're wrong. She was that good and even better. I've never known any person who tried so hard to emulate Jesus Christ. I remember saying to my mother once, "I wonder why my children don't get up and bear their testimonies?" Of course they didn't have such a great example from their parents, but we did bear our testimonies on occasion. Anyway, mom said, "Bonnie, there are many ways to bear testimony. Your children bear their testimonies by the way they live their lives." Wow. Coming from MY mom, that is a compliment of the highest order. We tried to take Yang shopping one day. She felt so terrible. We had borrowed mother's wheelchair. That's how bad it was---she couldn't make it from the car to the store. We were in Mervyn's trying to check out. Some lady in front of us was blabbing on endlessly about her stupid bill. She was worried about a couple of bucks that she thought she should have saved. The clerk was explaining over and over how her total tab had been calculated. Yang was whispering to me, "Mom, I've got to get out of here." I was stressed, to put it mildly. I finally put my things on the counter and said something very uncomplimentary to the idiot holding things up. Yang said, "Mom, don't say that, there are children here who can hear you!" Even in her misery, she was standing for truth and righteousness. I did not deserve to have her for a daughter.

alexandriasmomma said...

She DID love to fish. She got that from the Slay side of the family. Your daddy's old aunts liked nothing better than to drive out to Toro creek and wet a hook for hours on end. They didn't care if they caught anything or not. They were outside and they were fishing! Daddy loved the time y'all went and Nessa did her radio show about the East Mountain angler. And.........we're back!